Wednesday 9 October 2013

Daylesford Organic Restaurant


Lucky for me my mum is a comper (enters loads of competitions) and occasionally wins something..usually something weird like a Pie Minister Frisbee but this time she won a meal at the Daylesford Organic Restaurant in Esher, Surrey.

Here's what Daylesford have to say...

"Join us any time of day for award-winning organic food, straight from our farm to your fork. Every day on our Gloucestershire farm we bake our own bread, make our own cheese, grow our own fruits and vegetables and rear our own animals.
Daylesford Esher’s organic menus reflect the seasons, and are full of the best organic produce from our farm. Our chefs also make special seasonal dishes that might only be around for a few days, whilst the produce is at its best."
As we entered the restaurant on Esher high street I firstly must mention the decor. The walls covered in wooden white slats which reminded me of the outside of a beehive. On the left was where you can buy all the produce like cheese, fresh bread, soups etc. the restaurant was buzzing with business people and ladies who lunch. It was a great atmosphere! It was all open plan so you could watch the chefs work their magic.
Jerome the restaurant manager seated us and introduced our waitress. The competition win included three courses, a bottle of their organic wine and coffees, what a treat!! When ordering food I always like to try something I wouldn't make or don't have the skill to. To start I had the grilled sardines with fresh tomato and caper salsa and green salad, I could taste the olive oil which was wonderfully peppery. Mum ordered the spiced Cornish crab on toast.



Perhaps mum and I took a long time over our starter but as soon as our plates were cleared our steak arrived. I sometimes like a little break between.
It was the special of the day, Sirloin with chips, homemade tomato ketchup and a small salad. I prefer my steak medium rare unlike my dad who enjoys his steak cremated!! It was cooked perfectly and very well presented.

For dessert mum ordered the treacle and ginger tart. It was well balanced, not too sweet and kicked a punch of heat from the ginger. I ordered the chocolate nemesis. The waitress warned me it was rich so asked for the butterscotch ice ream, unfortunately it only came with a small amount of vanilla cream. I felt bad that I couldn't finish it, usually I'm never defeated by a pud. I did suggest to the waitress that perhaps it should be served alongside a chilli ice cream or some other ingredient to counter balance the richness. Apparently they're experimenting with orange and mint which sounds nice but maybe they're should be an option 'not for the faint hearted' and serve it with chilli pecans?!


Wine wise we has they're 2010 bottle of Chateau Leoube Rouge de Leoube. I'm no wine connoisseur but this was damn fine, so fruity, actually so good that we bought a bottle from they're farm shop after

Whilst having our coffee our waitress and Jerome the manager came and sat at our table to talk about our experience and for a general chin wag. I really enjoyed getting to know them and how they came to work for Daylesford. In fact everyone was friendly even the busy chefs were polite and said hello as I walked past (the loos are amazing and the products such as the soap and hand lotion smelt gorgeous).

Overall I loved this restaurant, the food was tasty maybe because it was all grown on their organic farm in Gloucester?? The staff were attentive, the decor, the atmosphere..it was all brilliant and was great to hear that restaurants were opening closer to home in Islington soon. Yes I would recommend this place, although the prices were a little over my student budget I would return here In the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment